It’s time for another edition of Meet the Members. We love introducing you to our North Carolina bloggers! Today we’d like you to meet Heidi Billotto of Heidi Billotto Food. Get to know her below and make sure to give her a big hello!
Meet Heidi of Heidi Billotto Food
1. How long have you been blogging?
I’ve been writing about Charlotte area food and restaurants for local and regional newspapers and magazines since 1990. I started writing for Charlotte Living magazine, a quarterly publication around 2005; and then started my blog in 2009 as a more regular way to share info on local chefs, restaurants, and food between the magazine issues.
2. Why did you start blogging?
I was looking for a way to reach out to my readers and my cooking class students on a more regular basis. I wanted to share recipes as a way to promote a cooking class and wanted my followers, students, and readers to have something more accessible than just a quick story in an email newsletter or a lengthy Facebook post – blogging was all the rage and it seemed to be the way to go.
3. What do you blog about?
I have found a niche in writing about local foods and products primarily in North Carolina, but also in South Carolina too. And when I travel I focus on what is local to that city, state or country. I also write about chefs, restaurants, culinary events large and small and food-centric travel; and, once a month or so, I share a seasonal recipe-based post.
4. Where are you blogging from in NC?
I am based in Charlotte, NC.
5. Out of all the posts you’ve written, which one (or two) would you pick as your favorite?
I’ve been fortunate to have the opportunity to interview many big culinary personalities – perhaps my favorite was Julia Child – Sharing the story brought back wonderful memories…
Hard to pick another post in particular so I’ll just say the next one, stay tuned…
6. What blog(s) do you love?
I’m currently enjoying the following blogs:
7. What’s one piece of advice you’d offer your fellow bloggers?
Write well. Being a blogger isn’t any different from being a journalist – don’t make it something less. Write your own story from a personal interview or experience, don’t just transcribe a press release, even if it’s in your own words. Pay as much attention to spelling and grammar as you do to your SEO.
8. What’s are three things do you know to be true?
- You only get out of something – be it a relationship, a job or an experience – what you put into it.
- You must believe in yourself and your abilities.
- A smile and a positive attitude can change everything.
9. Where can we find you on the web?
- Blog: HeidiBillottoFood.com
- Facebook: Heidi Billotto Cooks
- Instagram: Heidi Billotto
- Pinterest: Heidi Billotto Food
- Twitter: Heidi Cooks
We hope you’ve enjoyed getting to know Heidi! Be sure to swing by her blog and check out all she’s got going on. Do you have questions or comments for her? Kick off the conversation in the comments below! Love meeting our NC Bloggers? Meet them all!